[Haskell-cafe] Hackage suggestion: Gather the list of the licenses of all dependencies of a package

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Sat Dec 15 15:25:31 CET 2012

On 13 Dec 2012, at 10:41, Petr P wrote:

> In particular, we can have a BSD package that depends on a LGPL package, and this is fine for FOSS developers. But for a commercial developer, this can be a serious issue that is not apparent until one examines *every* transitive dependency.

This might a good time to remind everyone that every single program compiled by a standard GHC is linked against an LGPL library (the Gnu multi-precision integer library) - unless you take care first to build your own copy of the compiler against the integer-simple package instead of integer-gmp.  As far as I know, there are no ready-packaged binary installers for GHC that avoid this LGPL'd dependency.

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes

Just saying.

Regards,
    Malcolm