[Haskell-cafe] LGPL and Haskell (Was: Re: ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library)

Steve Severance sseverance at alphaheavy.com
Fri Dec 14 23:14:19 CET 2012

That very much mirrors my experience. As there is not settled case law
in all jurisdictions many companies would simply rather not risk it.
Simply having a court in the US set some precedents would not be
enough. A company which operated globally could be sued in many
different venues which are free to make up their own interpretations.

While these fears may be somewhat irrational they are still there. The
cost of building a replacement to a library may be far less than what
the cost of being found guilty of infringement may be. In any case I
mostly see GPL effecting smaller organizations anyhow as many big
organizations don't use much outside code.

It is true that in a hosted world the GPL doesn't matter much. So long
as the product that we ship to our customers is not software it
doesn't matter too much. If we were to ship code we would have to
replace any GPLed packages with something else.

The other thing I have found interesting is the notion that the GPL
can infect your codecase just by looking at GPLed code. If that it is
true, and I don't know that it is, it would seem that looking at any
code released under the GPL would be just as dangerous as looking at a
patent. Although I don't know that the offending party would be liable
for triple damages. Interesting food for thought and it would be nice
if there was a clarification somewhere.

Steve