[Haskell-cafe] LGPL and Haskell (Was: Re: ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library)

Clark Gaebel cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 13 14:01:55 CET 2012

Outside of the Valley and FOSS movement, programs are still usually
distributed as binaries.

For example, I have a secret, dirty desire to write a game in Haskell. This
would be closed source, and if I'd have to rewrite most of the supporting
libraries, it would be a nonstarter.

Plus, it's hard enough advocating for Haskell adoption because "it's hard"
or "less experienced developers won't get it". It'd rather not add "the
entire ecosystem is GPL, and there's no dynamic linking" to that list if I
could avoid it.

   - Clark