[Haskell-cafe] LGPL and Haskell (Was: Re: ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library)

Ramana Kumar Ramana.Kumar at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 10:35:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> I also don't think that distributing programs is as small a market as you
> think, and should also be something we support for commercial users of
> Haskell.

Distributing programs commercially is compatible with distributing them as
free software.
I think it would be helpful not to use "commercial users" to refer to both
those with policies against copyleft licenses and those who make money
distributing software.
Those groups are not even extensionally equal, and separating them further
(by having companies reconsider such policies) is, I would think, an
instrumental goal of the free software movement, which is one reason why
these tensions arise.