[Haskell-cafe] How to start with GHC development?

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Tue Dec 11 15:50:41 CET 2012

Eric Rochester <erochest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another idea is to have a list of open tasks grouped by how difficult
> they will be and how much knowledge of Haskell and GHC will be
> required. This is somewhat at odds with the earlier suggestion to have
> domains in codebase, with separate de facto maintainers for
> each. However, it would make it easier for others to contribute. I
> could also see where the domain maintainers could put simpler tasks
> into a global index. That might mix the best of both.

It doesn't have to be at odds with the domain suggestion.  In fact they
can be combined neatly.  The maintainer of a domain is the best person
to judge the difficulty of a task, so they can assign the difficulty
levels.  A new GHC developer can then view all tasks from all domains
sorted by difficulty and start with the easiest ones.

To me this sounds like a great idea to encourage people to join GHC
development.  I'm very interested myself, as I actually have some
experience writing compilers for statically typed lazy languages
(including STG compilation), but unfortunately my spare time is very
limited.  However, I would like to solve at least some easy tasks to get
going.

As for Simon Marlow's legacy perhaps this is the opportunity to
reevaluate the current run-time system and make it more transparent,
more modular as well as easier to substitute/customize.  This could open
the doors to using GHC for low level systems programming up to the point
where you can write kernels in Haskell.  This is something I am
particularly interested in.

Greets,
Ertugrul