[Haskell-cafe] Naive matrix multiplication with Accelerate

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 01:37:52 CET 2012

Well, an m x n matrix corresponds to a linear transformation in at most
min{m,n} dimensions.  In particular, this means that a 2x2 matrix
corresponds to a plane, line, or the origin of 3-space, as a linear
subspace.  Which of those the matrix corresponds to depends on the matrix's
"rank", which is the number of linearly independent columns (or rows) in
the matrix.

Do you really need to know /which/ plane or line a matrix corresponds to?
 If so, reduce it using Gaussian elimination and, if appropriate, compute
its eigenvectors or span.  Otherwise, think of it as a generic
plane/line/0-point.

Outer products represent more of these simple facts about linear algebra.
 The product of an mx1 and 1xn matrices is an mxn matrix with rank at most
1.  Trouble visualizing this means you are missing the essential facts (for
the general picture as the product as a line or origin), or requires some
computational details -- reducing the matrix using Gaussian elimination and
determining its span.

As I said, I don't mean to be harsh, but playing with a vector algebra
package without understanding vectors is like playing with a calculator
without understanding multiplication.  You're better off learning what
multiplication represents first, before using a machine to do it fast.  So,
I can humbly recommend taking a course on the subject.  For example,
https://www.coursera.org/course/matrix