[Haskell-cafe] computation over containers, greatly simplified notation.

Takayuki Muranushi muranushi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 14:47:52 CET 2012

Dear all,

https://github.com/nushio3/practice/blob/master/free-objects/zipf-12.hs

I was finally able to remove the verbose type annotations.

The point was (1) to let the argument-list carry the type-constructor
information, so that only values of the type (v a) can enter the
heterogeneous list;

data Cons (v :: * -> *) a b = Cons a b deriving (Eq, Show)
data Nil  (v :: * -> *)     = Nil      deriving (Eq, Show)

(2) to change the remainder of the program accordingly, and (3) to add
the following subtle modification, because instance finder does not
attempt to match unknown type a0 to "v result", but it does so to
"result."

class Reduce v f vxS result vyS | v f vxS -> result vyS where
  reduce :: v f -> vxS -> (v result, vyS)
   ↓
class Reduce v f vxS result vyS | v f vxS -> result vyS where
  reduce :: v f -> vxS -> (result, vyS)

Other samples work with modest type annotations.
https://github.com/nushio3/practice/blob/master/free-objects/zipf-13.hs