[Haskell-cafe] Why Kleisli composition is not in the Monad signature?

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Sat Dec 1 05:48:00 CET 2012

Ben,

> Now, on to Bind: the standard finite structure example for Bind is
most probably the substitution thingy ...

Danger of conflating a bunch of things here:

(1) the substitution monadic effect is always also applicative and always
also unital/pointed because monads are always applicative and pointed.

(2) the zippy applicative effect is NOT monadic (see main applicative paper)

(3) for finite structures, there's even a
pre-applicative-but-still-zippy-ish Apply effect that's apparently NOT
unital/pointed. I don't know of any results that crystallize this intuition
about finite/infinite cleanly distributing itself into Applicative and
Apply bins.

(4) all the above has thus far been functors! Gershom has explained a use
case where Apply isn't even one.

HTH,
-- Kim-Ee