[Haskell-cafe] formal semantics

Kristopher Micinski krismicinski at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 21:53:11 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com> wrote:
> This is good.  I will look at the references given in this
> thread.  The account at
>

> http://web.archive.org/web/20060206074101/http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~mpj/thih/TypingHaskellInHaskell.html
>
> is, I think, one part of what I was looking for.

The book I recommend (although now I feel like a bad person because I
haven't read all of it :-(.., is "The Implementation of Functional
Languages,"

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/index.htm

I remember finding it quite approachable, although for the immediate
need of trying to implement *Haskell* in a verified environment, it
might not be immediately helpful, it's really good background reading
on the subject that will be imperative should you want to do such
things (and written around the time when Haskell was congealing, so
should be representative-ish of the attitudes underlying Haskell's
design at the time: graph reduction, compiling pattern matching,
translating high level lamda languages to core semantics).

kris