[Haskell-cafe] Rigid skolem type variable escaping scope

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 23:26:45 CEST 2012

System Fc has another name: "GHC Core".   You can read it by running 'ghc
-ddump-ds' (or, if you want to see the much later results after
optimization, -ddump-simpl):

For example:

NonGADT.hs:

{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies, ExistentialQuantification, GADTs #-}
module NonGADT where

data T a = (a ~ ()) => T
f :: T a -> a
f T = ()

x :: T ()
x = T

C:\haskell>ghc -ddump-ds NonGADT.hs
[1 of 1] Compiling NonGADT          ( NonGADT.hs, NonGADT.o )

==================== Desugar (after optimization) ====================
Result size = 17

NonGADT.f :: forall a_a9N. NonGADT.T a_a9N -> a_a9N
[LclIdX]
NonGADT.f =
  \ (@ a_acv) (ds_dcC :: NonGADT.T a_acv) ->
    case ds_dcC of _ { NonGADT.T rb_dcE ->
    GHC.Tuple.() `cast` (Sym rb_dcE :: () ~# a_acv)
    }

NonGADT.x :: NonGADT.T ()
[LclIdX]
NonGADT.x = NonGADT.$WT @ () (GHC.Types.Eq# @ * @ () @ () @~ <()>)

The "@" is type application; "cast" is a system Fc feature that that allows
type equality to be witnessed by terms;

Removing the module names and renaming things to be a bit more readable, we
get:

f :: forall a. T a -> a
f = \ (@ a) (x :: T a) -> case x of { T c -> () `cast` (Sym c :: () ~# a) }
-- Here ~# is an unboxed type equality witness; it gets erased during
compilation.
-- We need Sym c because c :: a ~# () and cast wants to go from () to a, so
the
-- compiler uses Sym to swap the order.

x :: T ()
-- Eq# seems to be the constructor for ~#; I'm not sure what the <()>
syntax is.
-- Notice the kind polymorphism; Eq# takes a kind argument as its first
-- argument, then two type arguments of that kind.

  -- ryan