[Haskell-cafe] Platform Versioning Policy: upper bounds are not our friends

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Wed Aug 22 18:35:26 CEST 2012

As I see it, there are four possibilities for a given version of dependency:

1. The version DOES work. The author (or some delegate) has compiled
the package against this version and the resulting code is considered
good.
2. The version SHOULD work. No one has tested against this version,
but the versioning policy promises not to break anything.
3. The version MIGHT NOT work. No one has tested against this version,
and the versioning policy allows breaking changes.
4. The version DOES NOT work. This has been tested and the resulting
code (if any) is considered not good.

Obviously, cases 1 and 4 can only apply to previously released
versions. The PVP requires setting upper bounds in order to
distinguish cases 2 and 3 for the sake of future compatibility.
Leaving off upper bounds except when incompatibility is known
essentially combines cases 2 and 3.

So there are two failure modes:

I. A version which DOES work is outside the bounds (that is, in case
3). I think eliminating case 3 is too extreme. I like the idea of
temporarily overriding upper bounds with a command-line option. The
danger here is that we might actually be in case 4, in which case we
don't want to override the bounds, but requiring an explicit override
gives users a chance to determine if a particular version is
disallowed because it is untested or because it is known to be
incompatible.

II. A version which DOES NOT work is inside the bounds (that is, in
case 2). This happens when a package does not follow its own version
policy. For example, during the base-4 transition, a version of
base-3.0 was released which introduced a few breaking changes (e.g.,
it split the Arrow class). Alternately, a particular version might be
buggy. This can already be handled by adding constraints on the
command line, but it's better to release a new version of the package
with more restrictive constraints.

(This might not be enough, though. If I release foo-1.0.0 which
depends on bar-1.0.*, and then bar-1.0.1 is released with with a bug
or breaking change, I can release foo-1.0.0.1 which disallows
bar-1.0.1. But we need some way of preventing cabal from using
foo-1.0.0. Can Hackage deprecate specific versions?)

Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>