[Haskell-cafe] Platform Versioning Policy: upper bounds are not our friends

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Mon Aug 20 16:03:58 CEST 2012

My two (or three) cents:

   - Given a choice between a world where there is tedious work for package
   maintainers vs. a world where packages randomly break for end users (giving
   them a bad impression of the entire Haskell ecosystem), I choose the former.

   - More automation can ease the burden here. Michael Snoyman's packdeps
   tool is a great start in this direction, and it would be even better if it
   automagically fixed libraries for you and bumped your version number
   according to the PVP.

   - This is a great problem to have. There's so much work happening that
   people find it hard to stay on the treadmill? Things could be a lot worse.
   I guarantee you that our friends in the Standard ML community are not
   having this discussion. :-)

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>