[Haskell-cafe] Platform Versioning Policy: upper bounds are not our friends

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 05:34:52 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM, MightyByte <mightybyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> be to add a flag to Cabal/cabal-install that would cause it to ignore
> upper bounds.  (Frankly, I think it would also be great if

Ignore, or at least treat them as being like flags... if the versions don't
converge with them, start relaxing them and retrying, then print a warning
about the versions it slipped and attempt the build.

That said, I'd be in favor of moving toward something based on ABI
versioning instead; package versions as used by the PVP are basically a
manual switch emulating that.  It's not generally done because other parts
of the toolchain (notably ld's shared object versioning) don't support it,
but given that Cabal has greater control over the build process for Haskell
programs it would be worth exploring having Cabal deal with it.  (This is
not something you can do with existing C or C++ toolchains; the smarts
would need to be in make.)