[Haskell-cafe] Data structure containing elements which are instances of the same type class

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 21:39:10 CEST 2012

In classical logic  A -> B is the equivalent to ~A v B
(with ~ = not and v = or)

So

    (forall a. P(a)) -> Q
{implication = not-or}
    ~(forall a. P(a)) v Q
{forall a. X is equivalent to there does not exist a such that X doesn't
hold}
    ~(~exists a. ~P(a)) v Q
{double negation elimination}
    (exists a. ~P(a)) v Q
{a is not free in Q}
    exists a. (~P(a) v Q)
{implication = not-or}
    exists a. (P(a) -> Q)

These steps are all equivalencies, valid in both directions.