[Haskell-cafe] foreign import and gmp

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 23:55:21 CEST 2012

You need to build GHC using the integer-simple library (instead of the
'integer-gmp' library).  From the 6.12.1 release notes:

"""
It is now possible to build GHC with a simple, BSD-licensed Haskell
implementation of Integer, instead of the implementation on top of
GMP. To do so, set INTEGER_LIBRARY to integer-simple in mk/build.mk.
"""

In addition, some libraries depend on integer-gmp (sadly).  This is
usually part of an optimization and when I see it I tend to send in a
patch adding an "integer-simple" flag so you can cabal install it by
including "-finteger-simple" on the command line (text is an example
of one such library).

And that's it!  Your integer operations will run slower but you should
get stable operation even when using the GMP library.

Cheers,
Thomas