[Haskell-cafe] Benchmark of DFT libraries in Haskell

Takayuki Muranushi muranushi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 03:52:17 CEST 2012

Dear Ertugrul, Scott and Erik, thank you for your comments.

w.r.t the lazyness, I make the solvers to calculate the amplitude of
final FFT results (i.e. to calculate the square magnitude of array
elements and sum over them,) compare the response with the expected
results and cause side effects depending on the test result. This
should cause the FFT chain to be fully evaluated.

>> * vector-fftw with wisdom was more than 1/2 times faster than fftw in
>> C with wisdom (and with communication overhead.)

> I would be suspicious of that result. Calling a C function from a library
> should be slower from Haskell than from C.

Sorry for the confusion, What I meant is that vector-fftw version takes
more time than C version, but less than twice. Please compare the two lines

* "fft/cpp 1 1048576 102"
* "fft/vector-fftw 0 1048576 102"

in http://paraiso-lang.org/html/bench-dft-in-haskell.html .

P.S. including GPU contestants would be interesting!

2012/8/6 Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs at mega-nerd.com>:
> Takayuki Muranushi wrote:
>
>> * vector-fftw with wisdom was more than 1/2 times faster than fftw in
>> C with wisdom (and with communication overhead.)
>
> I would be suspicious of that result. Calling a C function from a library
> should be slower from Haskell than from C.
>
> Erik
> --

Best,

--
Takayuki MURANUSHI
The Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University