[Haskell-cafe] Benchmark of DFT libraries in Haskell

Takayuki Muranushi muranushi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:24:09 CEST 2012

Dear everyone, I'm always grateful to your help.

I have been assigned a complicated and growing task in which I'll
perform a lot of discrete Fourier transforms, so I have measured
performance of several DFT libraries in Haskell:
http://en.pk.paraiso-lang.org/Hackage/what-is-the-fastest-dft-in-haskell/main

The raw result: http://paraiso-lang.org/html/bench-dft-in-haskell.html

I'll share the result in hope that some of you will also find this
result useful. Also, please let me know any possible flaws or
improvements in the benchmark process!

My observations are as follows:

* vector-fftw with wisdom was more than 1/2 times faster than fftw in
C with wisdom (and with communication overhead.)
* vector-fftw without wisdom was significantly _faster_ than fftw in C
without wisdom. I wonder why.
* vector-fftw over vector was faster than fft over CArray.
* any library that doesn't use fftw is much slower than those that does.

Best,
--
Takayuki MURANUSHI
The Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University