[Haskell-cafe] What Haskell Records Need

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:53:09 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jonathan Geddes
<geddes.jonathan at gmail.com>wrote:

> The nice part about the SEC functions is that
> they compose as regular functions. Lenses are
> super powerful in that they form a category.
> Unfortunately using categories other than
> functions feels a tad unwieldy because you
> have to hide something from prelude and then
> import Category. (A bit like exceptions,
> currently).

FWIW this is also true for van Laarhoven lenses[1]

type FTLens a b = forall f. Functor f => (b -> f b) -> (a -> f a)

newtype Const a b = Const { unConst :: a } deriving Functor

get :: FTLens a b -> a -> b
get ft = unConst . ft Const

{-
ft :: forall f. (b -> f b) -> (a -> f a)
Const :: forall x. b -> Const b x
ft Const :: a -> Const b a
-}

newtype Id a = Id { unId :: a } deriving Functor

set :: FTLens a b -> b -> a -> a
set ft b = unId . ft (\_ -> Id b)

modify :: FTLens a b -> (b -> b) -> a -> a
modify ft k = unId . ft (Id . k)

-- example
fstLens :: FTLens (a,b) a
fstLens aToFa (a,b) = (,b) <$> aToFa a

-- and you get
compose :: FTLens b c -> FTLens a b -> FTLens a c
compose = (.)

identity :: FTLens a a
identity = id