[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Spam on the Haskell wiki

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 04:06:53 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:

> On 7/30/12 5:35 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
>
>> - Block creation of usernames
>> o ending with two or more digits
>> o with more than one x or q
>> o starting with "buy"
>> o longer than 20 characters
>> o with more than 4 consonants in a row
>>

> As other's've mentioned, many of these constraints impose undue burden on
> users with linguistic heritage outside of western Europe. Creating a decent
> filter for recognizing legitimate names across the majority of languages is
> quite difficult.
>
> Though there's no reason this has to be a strong blacklisting of
> usernames. If there's a willing volunteer (as seems to have been implied),
> then something like this could serve as a filter requiring manual override.
> All usernames are available... but some take longer to activate. Of course,
> there's always the power-to-weight issue for this kind of solution.

Yeah, I volunteered.  I'd like to see some kind of random round-robin
system to dispatch approval edits to a group of volunteers (i.e., if I only
had to scan 10 or so edits for spam a day -- I don't feel inclined to read
for correctness).  It wouldn't be so bad if there was 10-20 volunteers. I
suppose a lot less could do it if it was just approving user requests (but,
I also think that would be less effective at stopping spam)