[Haskell-cafe] Key-Parametrized Lookup Table

Paolino paolo.veronelli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:16:35 CEST 2012

This is without class :-)

{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies, ExistentialQuantification, FlexibleContexts #-}
import Prelude hiding (lookup)
import Data.Typeable

type family Value a :: *

data Assoc = forall a . (Typeable (Value a), Typeable a) => Assoc a (Value
a)

insert :: (Typeable (Value a), Typeable a) => a -> Value a -> [Assoc] ->
[Assoc]
insert k v = (Assoc k v :)

lookup :: (Typeable (Value a), Typeable a, Eq a) => a -> [Assoc] -> Value a
lookup k [] = error "noassoc"
lookup k ((Assoc k' v):xs) = case cast k' of
        Nothing -> lookup k xs
        Just k'' -> if k'' == k then case cast v of
                Nothing -> error "nocast"
                Just v' -> v'
            else lookup k xs

*Main> type instance Value Integer  = Char
*Main> type instance Value Int = String
*Main> let u = insert (1::Integer) 'c' $ insert (1::Int) "ciao" []
*Main> lookup (1 :: Integer)  u
'c'
*Main> lookup (1 :: Int)  u
"ciao"