[Haskell-cafe] Cabal try to install a package I already have

Daniel Díaz Casanueva dhelta.diaz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:50:45 CEST 2012

Hi Cafe,

today I opened the command prompt and typed "cabal install ftphs". Then I
read:

> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring network-2.3.0.5...

And I started to feel confused. Because I already have installed that
package with that version! I continued reading:

> cabal: The package has a './configure' script. This requires a Unix
> compatibility toolchain such as MinGW+MSYS or Cygwin.

Yes, I knew this would happen! (thought I don't like it with a so
common-used library) But I can't understand why cabal is trying to install
network-2.3.0.5. If I type "ghc-pkg list" I can see precisely
network-2.3.0.5 is installed. In fact, 2.3.0.5 is the version that comes
with the Haskell Platform I recently installed (2011.4.0.0) as you can see
here: http://code.haskell.org/haskell-platform/haskell-platform.cabal.

Could someone, please, explain me this? I will be very glad. I was working
with ghc-7.4 but I needed the network package so I switched to the Haskell
Platform, because install network in Windows is painful. Yes, I read the
Mitchell guide (found in
http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com.es/2010/12/installing-haskell-network-library-on.html),
but once I installed the library I was having compile time error with
"unknown symbol" errors. I felt very odd so I switched this machine to the
Haskell Platform.

I hope someone could help me.
Thanks in advance,
Daniel Díaz.