[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 223
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 05:42:34 CEST 2012
Welcome to issue 223 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of April 8 to 14, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
* merijn: I'm tempted to just do unsafePerformIO newEmptyMVar at the
quicksilver: I can't really be expected to deal with your
sinfulness. That's between you and your god.
* acowley: Good haskell code is 20 LANGUAGE pragmas, 40 imports, then
one line of perl.
* deggis: oh. running GHC HEAD. must try that next week if coffee
just someday isn't enough
* dmwit: hGetContents does not close its handle.
dmwit: hGetContents semicloses its handle.
* monochrom: isTrue = (unsafeCoerce :: Either a b -> Bool)
. (unsafeCoerce :: Maybe c -> Either a b)
. (unsafeCoerce :: Bool -> Maybe c)
* dmwit: For basically all good properties P, IEEE 754 is not P.
* Cale: Little known fact: For any positive integer n, the infinite
sequence of Project Euler problems has only finitely many elements
whose solution is not divisible by n.
Top Reddit Stories
* Announcing Yesod 1.0
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 101, Comments: 42
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/izD19
Original:  http://goo.gl/oTSto
* Why reasoning about space usage in Haskell is hard
Domain: ro-che.info, Score: 63, Comments: 14
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/yIkI4
Original:  http://goo.gl/IAQtu
* GHC HEAD now has type level natural number/ literals
Domain: github.com, Score: 63, Comments: 18
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/GfGbB
Original:  http://goo.gl/Lkp6v
* Working Together
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 62, Comments: 31
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/o3G85
Original:  http://goo.gl/jBdJA
* How less is more : polymorphic types can improve safety even in
Domain: blog.malde.org, Score: 61, Comments: 13
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/fzUlO
Original:  http://goo.gl/WHE3A
* A Hopefully Fair and Useful Comparison of Haskell Web Frameworks
Domain: softwaresimply.blogspot.com, Score: 60, Comments: 30
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/WuDuL
Original:  http://goo.gl/DXBA8
* First impressions of Haskell: A review of my Haskell adventure
Domain: binarysculpting.com, Score: 46, Comments: 36
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/gG0fl
Original:  http://goo.gl/ZqUT3
* A "radix tree" import syntax?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 41, Comments: 26
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/kBOLZ
Original:  http://goo.gl/kBOLZ
* Using ContT to please the eye
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 28, Comments: 15
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/hbFrs
Original:  http://goo.gl/hbFrs
* Designing a DCPU-16 emulator in Haskell: on determinism and I/O
Domain: jaspervdj.be, Score: 28, Comments: 6
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/KHIgP
Original:  http://goo.gl/NT89i
Top StackOverflow Questions
* What are type quantifiers?
votes: 15, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/d3hnH
* Haskell: How does 'atomicModifyIORef' work?
votes: 12, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/3b5dK
* Is there a runtime penalty associated with typeclasses?
votes: 12, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/Isw7k
* Timing out pure functions
votes: 11, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/aTzVG
* Haskell - simple constructor comparison (?) function
votes: 11, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/ZC6CC
* Partial Application with Infix Functions
votes: 10, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/QvabF
* Haskell: Why is there no type mismatch (and why does this compile)?
votes: 9, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/1gxFE
* “Dependent optional” data in Haskell
votes: 9, answers: 4
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/9K5Wx
* How can I help SpecConstr in GHC?
votes: 8, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/PGa4C
* How to get good performance when writing a list of integers from
1 to 10 million to a file?
votes: 7, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/Kym6r
* Efficiently turn a ByteString into a hex representation
votes: 7, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/aq2ct
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
More information about the Haskell-Cafe