[Haskell-cafe] ghc/profiling and very big "entries"

Emmanuel CHANTREAU echant-7 at maretmanu.org
Wed Apr 18 09:43:08 CEST 2012

Hello

I got this line in the profile output:

COST CENTRE              MODULE                                               no.    entries  %time %alloc   %time %alloc  ticks     bytes
     addDeduction        L42s.Maths.Prover.Base                             22730     2362045   1.1    4.6    52.3   52.6     81 614808848

And it seems that "addDeduction" has been called 2 362 045 times ?
But from other (personal) log files this function should be called
less than 10 000 times. I wonder if the laziness of haskell can
grow the "entries" field which is defined by:
"The number of times this particular point in the call tree was
 entered.", but what "enter" means for ghc is a question for me.

Thank you for answering

--
Emmanuel Chantréau
http://www.maretmanu.org/emmanuel/