[Haskell-cafe] Conduit Best Practices for leftover data

Myles C. Maxfield myles.maxfield at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 01:53:13 CEST 2012

>> 2. If you use connect-and-resume ($$+), the leftovers are returned as
>> part of the `Source`, and provided downstream.

I'm trying to figure out how to use this, but I'm getting a little bit
confused. In particular, here is a conduit that produces an output for
every 'i' inputs. I'm returning partial data when the input stream
hits an EOF (And I verified that the partial data is correct with
Debug.Trace), yet the output of 'partial' is ([[1,2,3,4,5]],[])
instead of ([[1,2,3,4,5]],[6,7,8]). Can you help me understand what's
going on?

Thanks,
Myles

import qualified Data.Conduit as C
import qualified Data.Conduit.List as CL

-- functionally the same as concatenating all the inputs, then
repeatedly running splitAt on the concatenation.
takeConduit :: (Num a, Monad m) => a -> C.Pipe [a1] [a1] m ()
takeConduit i = takeConduitHelper i [] []
  where takeConduitHelper x lout lin
          | x == 0 = C.HaveOutput (takeConduitHelper i [] lin) (return
()) $ reverse lout
          | null lin = C.NeedInput (takeConduitHelper x lout) (C.Done
(Just $ reverse lout) ())
          | otherwise = takeConduitHelper (x - 1) (head lin : lout) $ tail lin

partial :: (Num t, Monad m, Enum t) => m ([[t]], [[t]])
partial = do
  (source, output) <- CL.sourceList [[1..8]] C.$$+ (takeConduit 5 C.=$
CL.consume)
  output' <- source C.$$ CL.consume
  return (output, output')