[Haskell-cafe] How helpful is h-99 (and should we complete the missing ones)?

Daniel Hlynskyi abcz2.uprola at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:58:11 CEST 2012

> So here's my question: how useful is h-99 (are they overrated as learning
> tools)? I find myself solve most of them in a "from the scratch" fashion
> (e.g., no Monad, no Applicative, no Functor aside from List and a few
> Maybe). Some of them are paper-worthy, for example the prime problems. I
> hope some guru-level Haskeller could do away the missing few, and maybe
> dive deeper into the surface to produce more insights (like the knights
> travel page or the sieve paper, which are both beautiful).

As another new-haskeller I say: Yes & No.

"Yes" for  necessity of several described algorithms and gained intuition
for real programming.
"No" for needed ammount of work to understand pitfalls of Haskell when real
programming.

And of-course, problems and solutions are not annotated with there typical
real world aplications, they are not obvious for average beginners. Why
would I make Binary tree balanced, when I don't know, what I'll gain
(except balanced binary tree)?