[Haskell-cafe] XMPP library recommendations

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Apr 11 04:32:21 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

I'm looking for suggestions for XMPP libraries.  So far I have found
three on Hackage. Thanks to the authors of these - I think a lot of good
can come from XMPP in Haskell.

However, all of them appear to be minimally maintained, if at all:

  * XMPP - only one upload, over 2 years ago.  Does not support TLS
    (required by many modern servers).  Does not support SASL (also
    required by many modern servers).  After finding the options on a
    test server to disable the requirements for TLS and SASL, it worked.
  * network-protocol-XMPP - uploaded recently to fix 7.4 build issue,
    not much other recent activity.  Refuses to connect to a test
    account with "Received empty challenge" (this does not appear to be
    an accurate error message, but rather a bug in XML parsing).  A bit
    more low-level than I'm looking for.
  * haskell-xmpp - only one upload, over 1 year ago.  Connects and
    works.  I like the design.  Is hard-coded to write debug messages to
    stdout, making it a bit of a problem for programs that use stdout
    (though a one-liner mod to the code would fix that).  Says it's
    "alpha" and "work in progress".

What experience do people have with these?  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-- John