[Haskell-cafe] Reconstructing a tree from a list of its paths (to leaves)

Arnaud Bailly arnaud.oqube at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 09:55:58 CEST 2012

I am manipulating labeled multiway trees, some kind of "lightweight"
XML notation. One thing I would like to be able to do is manipulating
a tree as a list of (Path, Value). Generating such a list is easy but
I am a little bit surprised to find it harder to reconstruct a tree,
given such a list assuming some sensible properties (list is ordered,
for example).

I got the intuition this has already been tackled in one way or
another in a functional setting in Haskell (I code in Java but using
mostly functional constructs), but don't know where to look.

Thanks for your pointers and help,