[Haskell-cafe] I Need a Better Functional Language!

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 00:00:57 CEST 2012

A concurring opinion here, and an example.

iff :: Bol -> a -> a -> a
iff True x _ = x
iff False _ x = x

f, g :: Bool -> Bool
f x = x
g x = iff x True False

Are these two functions equal?  I would say yes, they are.  Yet once you
can pattern match on functions, you can easily tell these functions apart,
and create a function

h :: (Bool -> Bool) -> Bool
such that h f => True but h g => False.

  -- ryan