[Haskell-cafe] GHCi runtime linker: fatal error (was Installing REPA)

Dominic Steinitz idontgetoutmuch at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 7 18:41:19 CEST 2012

On 07/04/2012 15:42, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
> On 07/04/2012 11:14, Ben Lippmeier wrote:
>> On 07/04/2012, at 9:33 AM, Chris Wong wrote:

>>> I think the easiest solution is to just use an older version of Repa.
>>> According to Hackage, the latest one that works with base 4.3 is Repa
>>> 2.1.1.3:
>>>
>>> $ cabal install repa==2.1.1.3
>> I've just pushed Repa 3 onto Hackage, which has a much better API
>> than the older versions, and solves several code fusion problems.
>> However, you'll need to upgrade to GHC 7.4 to use it. GHC 7.0.3 is
>> two major releases behind the current version.
>>
>> Ben.
>>

> Hi Ben, Chris and Others,
>
> Thanks for your replies and suggestions. All I want to do is invert
> (well solve actually) a tridiagonal matrix so upgrading ghc from the
> version that comes with the platform seems a bit overkill. I think I
> will go with Chris' suggestion for now and maybe upgrade ghc (and
> REPA) when I am feeling braver.
>
> Dominic.
Sadly I now get this when trying to mulitply two matrices. Is this
because I have two copies of Primitive? I thought Cabal was supposed to
protect me from this sort of occurrence. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to solve this?

Tests-MacBook-Pro:PDE Test$ ghc-pkg list | grep -i prim
WARNING: there are broken packages.  Run 'ghc-pkg check' for more details.
     ghc-prim-0.2.0.0
     primitive-0.3.1
     primitive-0.4.0.1

*Main> mmMult xx xx

GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for symbol
    _memcpy_off
whilst processing object file

/Users/Test/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.0.3/lib/primitive-0.4.0.1/lib/HSprimitive-0.4.0.1.o
This could be caused by:
    * Specifying the same object file twice on the GHCi command line
    * An incorrect `package.conf' entry, causing some object to be
      loaded twice.
GHCi cannot safely continue in this situation.  Exiting now.  Sorry.