[Haskell-cafe] I Need a Better Functional Language!

Andrew Butterfield andrew.butterfield at cs.tcd.ie
Thu Apr 5 17:19:07 CEST 2012

On 5 Apr 2012, at 15:14, Grigory Sarnitskiy wrote:

> Hello! I've just realized that Haskell is no good for working with functions!

> Obviously, that's not all of the imaginable possibilities. One also can rewrite programs. And write programs that rewrite programs. And write programs that rewrite programs that rewrite the first programs and so on. But there is no such possibility in Haskell, except for introducing a DSL.
>
> So now I wonder, what are the languages that are functional in the sense above? With a reasonable syntax and semantics, thus no assembler. I guess Lisp might be of this kind, but I'm not sure.

Probably - but the semantics is dreadful...

> Note, that the reflectivity is important.

Intel developed a reflective functional language/system called Forte that is the basic
of a lot of their formal hardware verification process...

  http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/tom.melham/res/forte.html

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero at TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
Director of Teaching and Learning - Undergraduate,
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                          http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/