[Haskell-cafe] Generalizing (++) for monoids instead of using (<>)

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 23:06:20 CEST 2012

There are many reasons, but some of the more cited ones are that (<>) will
break less code than (++) would, since (++) is ubiquitous and (<>) is most
used in some pretty printers. Yes, mappend's type can be refined to that of
the current list (++), but the increased polymorphism still has the
potential to break existing code by making it harder to resolve instances.

As for (<>) meaning not equal to, do you also have a problem with Monad's
(>>) meaning a right bitwise shift, or the mutationey form of it, (>>=)? :)
I don't think anyone in Haskell has ever used (<>) to mean (/=), so the
fact that there exist a couple of languages out there that do use it that
way shouldn't affect our decision.

Dan