[Haskell-cafe] instance Enum Double considered not entirely great?

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Sep 26 23:34:17 CEST 2011

On 26/09/2011, at 11:08 AM, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> And: distinguish NaNs or identify them all?
> I lean towards identifying them all, I've never cared for whether they come
> from 0/0, Infinity - Infinity or what, but I could be convinced.

There are very many bit patterns that count as NaNs, but only two
classes worth distinguishing: qNaNs and sNaNs.  The payload bits
have no cross-platform significance; if it comes to that, there are
two opposing conventions for which value of the is-it-quiet bit, so
it's not clear if any distinction is worth making.