[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] skein-0.1: Skein, a family of cryptographic hash functions. Includes Skein-MAC as well.

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Wed Sep 21 22:19:09 CEST 2011

On 09/21/2011 05:01 PM, Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
> I'm aware of cryptohash.  I just went through the lazy route of
> binding to the C library instead of implementing those UBI details =).
hehe, fair enough. :-)
>   It would be nice to merge and have everything on cryptohash though.
> And I guess that cryptohash may become faster than skein because the C
> library has some implementation details that are unneeded (e.g. it has
>   a buffer, but hash/hash' are kind enough to only give full buffers to
> the libraries).
speed wise, i would really like to see the parallel tree hashing going :)

> Also, it seems that cryptohash's Skein is currently broken.  The skein
> package comes with the "golden" KATs sent by the Skein team to the
> NIST, and passes everything.  OTOH, cryptohash's Skein256/Skein512 do
> not agree with skein's Skein_256_256/Skein_512_512.  I've attached a
> test suite that quickchecks if both implementations give the same
> answer.  My hunch is that you are using the wrong constants, because
> the first test case (the empty string) already fails:
oops darn, thanks for reporting. i'll have a look at that ASAP; It used to work
in the past, and i've copied some expected values from the original
implementation in my small unit tests (which still pass :-/ ), so i'm a bit
puzzle here.

--
Vincent