[Haskell-cafe] Turn GC off

Leon Smith leon.p.smith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:04:29 CEST 2011

I doubt it.  Even if you could turn GC completely off,  the vast
majority of GHC Haskell programs will run out of memory very quickly.
 Lazy evaluation has been called "evaluation by allocation";   unless
your program has very simple requirements and can live in the
completely-strict fragment of Haskell without consing,  almost
everything allocates something.   Also,  your programs probably won't
even run faster without GC,  as GHC's GC is an important part of
getting halfway reasonable L2 cache performance.

Best,
Leon