[Haskell-cafe] Data.Text.IO.hGetContents problem on windows

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:15:25 CEST 2011

Bonjour Café, bonjour Bryan

I have a program that works fine on linux, but doesn't on windows.

On windows XP with the latest Haskell platform, I get:
<socket: 1860>: hFileSize: invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)

I think the problem is with hGetContents from Data.Text.IO, but my
google-fu failed to help me find any information.

Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

David.

The source code of the part that fails is as follows:

-- Execute a command on a distant server using the rexec protocol.
rexec :: HostName     -- server to connect to
      -> Text         -- user
      -> Text         -- password
      -> TextEncoding -- server's text encoding
      -> Text         -- command to execute
      -> IO (Maybe Text)
rexec !ip !ru !rp !enc cmd = handle rexec_error $ do
  hdl <- connectTo ip (PortNumber 512)
  let end_param = T.singleton (chr 0)
     ctrl_string = T.concat [
         "0", end_param,
         ru, end_param,
         rp, end_param,
         cmd, end_param
       ]
  hSetEncoding hdl enc
  TIO.hPutStr hdl ctrl_string
  -- make sure the control string is sent.
  hFlush hdl
  -- 1st char read is actually a error code which we ignore for now
  hGetChar hdl
  !res <- TIO.hGetContents hdl
  hClose hdl
  return (Just res)

rexec_error :: SomeException -> IO (Maybe Text)
rexec_error err = do
  putStrLn $ show err
  return Nothing