[Haskell-cafe] regex-applicative library needs your help! (algorithmic challenge)

Anton Tayanovskyy anton.tayanovskyy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:53:25 CEST 2011

Chris, Brandon, thank you for the input. I believe I understand what
you are saying; to reiterate, yes, in the *general case*, neither ML
nor Haskell types outrule nastiness such as non-termination. Yes I
know about and use Coq a bit. However, ML has an important *special
case*: not using functions. Chris, using bang patterns in Haskell do
not quite help to statically rule out recursive terms, do they? They
just make for a different runtime error. If I said:

data Regex =
  | Seq !Regex !Regex

Will it actually give the user who tries to construct a recursive
value a compile-time error? I suspect not, I'll try it myself to make
sure.

Roman, thanks, I will try to look that thread up - this is what I am
indeed curious about - how to enforce this at the type level.

Yes, with a vanilla interface sharing is not observable; some
libraries work with it and some do not. I am spooked out by this
though: performance guarantees are very different for regular terms
and terms with sharing. Consider the regex engine. The "infinite"
regular expressions (well, they are not really regular), may suddenly
produce an infinte NFA, so memory use may become linear in the input
string. Yes, a smart user will understand this, especially in an area
that is relatively well-understood such as regular expressions.
However I find it extremely disturbing that library designers do not
communicate requirements through the type system, and make performance
guarantees for all well-typed programs. ML makes it easy, I guess I am
just an ML convert :)

Thanks,

Anton

--
Kind Regards,
Anton Tayanovskyy

WebSharper™ - type-safe JavaScript in F#
http://intellifactory.com