[Haskell-cafe] Converting wiki pages into pdf

Kyle Murphy orclev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 07:12:36 CEST 2011

It's worth pointing out at this point (as alluded to by Conrad) that what
you're attempting might be considered somewhat rude, and possibly slightly
illegal (depending on the insanity of the legal system in question).
Automated site scraping (what you're essentially doing) is generally frowned
upon by most hosts unless it follows some very specific guidelines, usually
at a minimum respecting the restrictions specified in the robots.txt file
contained in the domains root. Furthermore, depending on the type of data in
question, and if a EULA was agreed to if the site requires an account, doing
any kind of automated processing might be disallowed. Now, I think wikipedia
has a fairly lenient policy, or at least I hope it does considering it's
community driven, but depending on how much of wikipedia you're planning on
crawling you might at the very least consider severly throttling the process
to keep from sucking up too much bandwidth.

On the topic of how to actually perform that crawl, you should probably
check out the format of the link provided in the download PDF element. After
looking at an article (note, I'm basing this off a quick glance at a single
page) it looks like you should be able to modify the URL provided in the
"Permanent link" element to generate the PDF link by changing the title
argument to arttitle, adding a new title argument with the value
"Special:Book", and adding the new arguments "bookcmd=render_article" and
"writer=rl". For example if the permanent link to the article is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shapinsay&oldid=449266269

Then the PDF URL is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?arttitle=Shapinsay&oldid=449266269&title=Special:Book&bookcmd=render_article&write=rl

This is all rather hacky as well, and none of it has been tested so it might
not actually work, although I see no reason why it shouldn't. It's also
fragile, as if wikipedia changes just about anything it could all brake, but
that's the risk you run anytime you resort of site scraping.

-R. Kyle Murphy
--
Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.