[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Netwire 1.2.0

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Tue Sep 6 13:50:56 CEST 2011

Hello there,

version 1.2.1 of netwire is out.  New features include:

  * Completely reworked event system.  Events are now solely based on
    signal inhibition, which turns out to be much more convenient and
    faster than AFRP's traditional approach using Maybe-wrapped values.

    Now instead of checking for the presence of an event, you simply
    assume that it happened.  If it didn't happen, then the signal is
    inhibited and your wire is not run.  This makes your code much
    simpler, because you get along almost entirely without switches.
    Example displaying a discrete clock updated at intervals of half a
    second:

        system :: forall m. Monad m => Wire m () String
        system =
            proc _ -> printf "%8.2f" ^<< hold discreteClock -< ()

            where
            discreteClock :: Wire m () Double
            discreteClock =
                proc _ -> do
                    t <- time -< ()
                    repeatedly -< (0.5, t)

    By using ArrowPlus or Alternative, you can handle the case, where
    the event did not happen, listening for alternative events or simply
    having a fallback.  By using the various wire combinators you can
    hold, sample, keep or exhibit event values as shown above.

  * Lots and lots of Haddock documentation improvements.  Now the
    inhibition and feedback behaviour of every builtin wire is
    documented.

  * Apropos feedback:  Finally added an ArrowLoop instance, so you can
    now have recursive values in your wires.  There is a catch though:
    Right now wires which produce values used recursively must not
    inhibit.  There is an inherent problem handling the inhibition case,
    which you will observe as a pattern match error.

    Right now I don't have a solution for this problem, but I'm working
    on it.  However, it may well be that it simply cannot be solved with
    my current internal wire representation.  This is the price to pay
    for signal inhibition.

    To prevent (or rather catch) inhibition you can use the 'exhibit' or
    'event' combinators.

  * Many small performance improvements.  Simple signal networks go well
    beyond 35000 frames per second on my mobile Intel i7 with 1.7 GHz
    and their executables cost well less than 5 MiB RAM.  The
    performance passes the 50k FPS mark on my i5 with 2.8 GHz at home.
    This is more than a 10x speedup compared to my last benchmark on the
    initial release of version 1.0.0

  * Removed some of variations of existing wires and replaced them by
    wire combinators instead.  For example 'executeOnce' and
    'executeEvery' are gone.  Instead you should use the normal
    'execute' wire together with 'swallow', 'sample', 'hold' or other
    combinators.

  * Changed the semantics of all wires to support feedback.  Now some
    wires support feedback right away, while for others you need a
    one-instant delay.  The feedback behaviour of all wires is
    Haddock-documented, as noted.

Enjoy and please give me as much feedback as possible. =)

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/