[Haskell-cafe] Efficient mutable arrays in STM

David Barbour dmbarbour at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 02:31:32 CET 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>wrote:

> According to the original STM paper the implementation does an equality
> test, albeit only for pointer equality.

It strikes me as bad form to depend on characteristics of `the

An incremented integer would probably be ok, (no need to evaluate it,

since the closure is newly allocated, thus a new object)

Evaluation would be necessary to avoid a subtle space-leak with laziness
semantics. The size of the closure is potentially linear with the number of

A little more on the safe side is a new TVar

That works too.