[Haskell-cafe] ANN: diagrams 0.4

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:46:26 CEST 2011

On 24 October 2011 13:51, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> How does diagrams compare with graphviz?  If this is an inappropriate
> (type-wrong?) question thats ok :-)  Its just that when I last looked at
> graphviz I found the documentation somewhat impenetrable -- like much else
> in Hackage -- lots of types, no examples.

How is it now, better?  If not, what kind of more documentation would you like?

The difference between the two is: graphviz requires an external
command to create the visualisations and is suited towards converting
graph data into an image using various heuristics to try and make it
look nice; diagrams seems to be more towards drawing specific images
following specified rules.

So, you could implement something like graphviz using diagrams as a
backend, but you'd then need to have some transformation from a list
of points+edges to actual 2D coords, etc.

Hmmm... might be interesting to try and use dot/neato/etc. to do the
layout of a graph, and then use diagrams for the actual
visualisation...

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com