[Haskell-cafe] runStateT execution times measurement baffling

thomas burt thedwards at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 23:07:44 CEST 2011

Sorry, thought I had replied to this with my result!

I added `seq` and $! inside `stuffToDo` to ensure that there weren't any
thunks left around after it was called.

The measured times were only a few hundredths of a second apart after that.

So, apparently even with a strict StateT, partially evaluated references can
easily be left around all the way until the call to runStateT returns. In
this case my state is a record, if that makes any difference. It's not what
I expected... I can see why my example is too small to show why it behaved
this way though.

I thought pattern matching (in Haskell98) was itself strict, so I don't see
what the difference between a lazy and strict stateT is, except perhaps in
cases that the value of runStateT is bound via a different mechanism than
pattern matching.