[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: vector-bytestring-0.0.0.0

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 13:32:08 CEST 2011

On 19 October 2011 22:09, Roman Leshchinskiy <rl at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> So it seems that (1) people have very different requirements and (2) the
> Show instance only really matters for debugging in ghci. Here is a
> thought. What if ghci allowed Show instances to be overridden dynamically?
> So you could put your preferred Show instance for Vector Word8 in you
> .ghci file and ghci would use that when displaying stuff (but not when
> actually evaluating things). Would that solve most of the problems without
> messing with vector's Show instances?

Would this hypothetical ghci feature also work for cases where you
have a ByteString as part of another type that derives Show and Read?

I also wonder whether it would suffice to have a ByteString -> String
function available rather than requiring Show per-se for the case of a
ByteString on its lonesome.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com