[Haskell-cafe] Google Knol and haskellers

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 20:45:57 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:35, Yves Parès wrote:
>>
>> I re-head recently about Google Knol, which is IMO some crossing-over
>> between a wiki and a blog.
>> Are there some people that use it here to write haskell-related articles
>> instead of a regular blog?
>
> As far as anybody outside Google knows, Knol has pretty much been abandoned.
> See http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/01/abandoned-knol.html . I don't
> think it's worth contributing knowledge to it.

I agree; I predicted back in January 2009 that it would fail to go
anywhere, and checking up on it, I find that none of the stats have
improved since then:
http://www.gwern.net/Wikipedia%20and%20Knol#knol-did-fail

Indeed, the real question for me is when it will officially die:
http://www.gwern.net/Wikipedia%20and%20Knol#knol-death-watch

Knol has zero advantages over the Haskell wiki, and never has, unless
you want fanatical control of your content and miniscule ad content,
in which case you are better off with your own blog.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net