[Haskell-cafe] The best way to call Java from Haskell?

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 11 08:53:10 CEST 2011

On 10/11/11 08:23 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> So for my use case, I don't care at all about interacting with Java
> code, I simply want to be able to turn my existing Haskell code into a
> JAR file. This seems like a much simpler undertaking, but I'm still
> not aware of any way to get this to happen right now either.

LambdaVM do exactly what you like, but is experimental and unfortunately
out-dated. It's based on pre ghc 6.8:

$ ./compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.7.20081028

anyway, for hello world like examples it's working well, although
benchmarking shows that it's slower on the same code then frege for
example (testing just naive fib to compare recursion speed)

I've contacted author several times and asked for updating or help with
updating it to latest GHC HEAD but received no reply so far and
unfortunately my Haskell knowledge is kind of enough to write just this
hello world...

Karel