[Haskell-cafe] Package documentation complaints -- and a suggestion

John Millikin jmillikin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 03:17:06 CEST 2011

The package summary is "Type-safe ADT-database mapping library.", which
gives some idea about what it does.

In my experience, any package that starts its source files with

    {-# LANGUAGE GADTs, TypeFamilies, ExistentialQuantification, StandaloneDeriving, TypeSynonymInstances, MultiParamTypeClasses, FunctionalDependencies, FlexibleInstances, FlexibleContexts, OverlappingInstances, ScopedTypeVariables, GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving, UndecidableInstances, EmptyDataDecls #-}

is probably an experiment in what is possible, rather than a
production-friendly library.

Many people upload experimental packages to Hackage so that they can be used
by other interested people, even though the packages are not ready/intended
for mass consumption. A lack of documentation in such cases is
understandable.

I wonder if it would be worth giving package uploaders control over whether
their packages are shown on the package list? Packages can be manually
hidden by emailing an admin, but that's a lot of trouble.