[Haskell-cafe] DSL for data definition (e.g. compiling Haskell type defs into Google's protocol buffers type defs)

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Oct 5 05:19:11 CEST 2011

On 10/4/11 12:02 PM, Karel Gardas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find out if it's possible to use Haskell data type
> definition capability to define types and compile defined types into
> other languages, for example into Google's protocol buffers data
> definition language. So basically speaking I'm thinking about using
> Haskell sub-set as a data-definition DSL together with some functions
> which will generate some code based on supplied defined data types. My
> idea is:

If your main goal is to use protocol buffers in Haskell, then I'd
recommend checking out Chris Kuklewicz's packages: hprotoc,
protocol-buffers, protocol-buffers-descriptor.

If your main goal is actually to have a DSL, well, the other folk's
comments about generic programing techniques should help.

--
Live well,
~wren