[Haskell-cafe] DSL for data definition (e.g. compiling Haskell type defs into Google's protocol buffers type defs)

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 18:27:36 CEST 2011

On 4 October 2011 17:02, Karel Gardas <karel.gardas at centrum.cz> wrote:

> Hello,

[SNIP]

> So
> basically speaking I'm thinking about using Haskell sub-set as a
> data-definition DSL together with some functions which will generate some
> code based on supplied defined data types. ...

This seems reminiscent of ASDL - the Abstract Syntax Definition
Language - and ASDLgen (its generator) which used sum and product
types (essentially the same a Haskell or ML's algebraic types) to
define data for compiler internals. The definitions could be compiled
to C++, C, Java, ML, and Haskell. As well as data type definitions
ASDLgen generated marshallers for the ASDL binary format.

Unfortunately the Zephyr project which sponsored ASDL seems to have
had an early demise - so what info there still is available on the web
might be patchy.