[Haskell-cafe] A Mascot

Andrew Butterfield andrew.butterfield at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Nov 16 10:07:56 CET 2011

On 16 Nov 2011, at 08:46, Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

> But I think, despite the well-founded denotational semantics of Haskell,
> bottom does not play that much of a role.

There is one? Where? Last time I looked (a while ago, admittedly)
there was no denotational (or any formal) semantics for Haskell.
 - lots of stuff for fragments of Haskell-like languages or parts of Haskell, but not a
full proper definitive semantics for *Haskell*, as found in the wild...

Looking at
the first footnote states
  "In fact, there are no written down and complete denotational semantics of Haskell. This would be a tedious task void of additional insight and we happily embrace the folklore and common sense semantics."

However, if you have a proof-based tool used for reasoning about Haskell programs
in a safety-critical environment, you might just need to do this tedious task,
particularly in order to show your proof rules sound.
 - has anyone in that area done this? is it available ?

Is there a definitive Operational Semantics? Axiomatic?

PS - I love the mascot - thanks Heath !