[Haskell-cafe] Parallel compilation and execution?

michael rice nowgate at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 14:14:29 CEST 2011

Hi Alex,
I had previously looked at OpenMP (Fortran) and when I saw par and seq in Control.Parallel I got a sense of common terminology, sections of code that can be executed in parallel and sections of code that must be executed sequentially. I haven't looked at Control.Concurrent yet.
The original reason I took a look at Haskell (and Erlang) was multi-core CPUs were becoming common and I wanted to learn to take advantage of them, but Haskell's learning curve has been so steep I've been occupied with learning other aspects of the language and only now have turned again to try my hand at its parallelizing features.
Thanks,
Michael