[Haskell-cafe] Efficient object identity (aka symbols as data)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:59:47 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 05:41, Jacek Generowicz <Jacek.Generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:

> On 2011 May 26, at 11:12, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>
>> (Think gensym.  Hm, except last time I did anything serious with Lisp, it
>> was Maclisp... does gensym even still exist, or did CL do something
>> inscrutable with it?)
>

> But gensym does seem to be overkill in the case I presented.
> (...)

In Lisp terms, I'm looking for make-symbol and intern.

I think I just landed on "inscrutable"; (gensym) used to do pretty much
that, it rolled symbols starting from 'a0000 for the first one generated in
a given interpreter.  (It has occurred to me that I was not entirely clear;
the "Mac" in "Maclisp" was MACSYMA.  Ancient stuff.)